Under normal circumstances, a standard EV battery can easily last for more than five years. The batteries used in electric scooters in India are manufactured to provide a long battery life. Tesla claims that EV batteries can last for more than 12 years. However, several other factors contribute to the deterioration of an EV battery, in addition to calendar aging. In this blog, we shall address these factors and understand what we can do to enhance the life of an EV battery. The external conditions of an Electric Vehicle affect battery health to a considerable extent, and there are certain situations that EV owners need to avoid to ensure that the battery life of an Electric Vehicle can be maximized.
Suggestions that can help enhance EV battery life:
- Avoid high temperatures when parked: EVs have an automated temperature control system, which, when deployed, keeps trickling the EV battery away. Over time, this adds to the battery’s aging, leading to lower battery life. However, the automated temperature control only works when the ignition is on. However, not even India’s best electric scooters have this system. The ones that do not have this system in place cannot regulate the temperature of their battery. Therefore, these batteries risk catching fire when exposed to a high temperature.
- Avoid using fast-charging for your EV: Even though fast-charging an EV battery is lucrative for owners, it must be kept under consideration that it is detrimental to battery health. Fats chargers have been observed to push a little too much electricity into batteries. This leads to extra strain on the EV battery, which deteriorates the chemical composition of the battery and takes away from the battery life. Therefore, it is highly suggested that you only use authorized chargers to charge your EV.
- Always keep your battery charged to an optimum level: It is suggested that you keep the battery level of your EV under check at all times. One must consider the fact that the electric scooters in India come with batteries that are suggested to maintain a range of 25-75% at all times to maintain optimum battery life. If the battery stays completely discharged when parked for a long time, it affects the health of the EV battery and, therefore, is not desirable.
- Refrain from charging your EV battery too frequently: Although it is tempting to keep your EV battery fully charged at all times, it would require frequent charging, which is not desirable for chargeable batteries. Frequent charging of batteries can lead to detrimental effects on the performance and the condition of an EV battery. Fully charging the rechargeable battery of electric scooters in India sounds attractive because it allows the owner to go farther on a single charge. However, one must refrain from doing that often to avoid accelerated battery aging.
- Use authorized and original chargers: Third-party chargers with similar ratings are available on the market to compete with original chargers made for EV batteries. However, it is never a good choice to go for these third-party chargers as they are not manufactured to protect the battery; different companies manufacture them to create greater margin profits. Third-party chargers for electric scooters are relatively cheaper and are readily available in the market. However, it is suggested that EV owners avoid using these chargers as much as possible.
- Prevent the battery from physical shocks: You should handle your EV Battery with care. Even the EV batteries used in India’s best electric scooters need to be kept safe and protected from being dropped or knocked off the vehicle, as that can displace the internal components and might damage the battery. If the wiring and the thermal balancing system are thrown off balance, the chances of a battery misfunction can increase.
- Let the battery cool off before you charge it: Refrain from putting your EV battery on charge right after a ride. When the battery is being utilized, it gets hot and is not optimal for charging. EV owners should wait an hour or a half after using the EV to travel before they charge it again. This will help enhance the longevity of EV batteries to a significant extent.
- Refrain from accelerating heavily, and maintain a constant average speed: It has been observed that suddenly accelerating EV vehicles frequently leads to a loss of capacity for the batteries. However, maintaining a constant average speed throughout rides has been observed to decrease the battery decay rate. Therefore, sticking to constant and moderate speeds throughout rides is a good option for people who want to enhance their EV batteries’ longevity.
Electric Vehicles have been predicted to make up almost 60% of passenger vehicle sales by the end of 2040, which shows that people are gradually inclining towards a cleaner transportation choice. However, it is essential to take care of the EV battery that powers India’s best electric scooter, as longer battery life and better performance are desirable for most EV users in India and across the world. If you own an Electric scooter in India, it is suggested that you pay heed to the tips mentioned above if you want to enhance your battery life. Enhancing battery life and performance can help users save more money, while having a better experience with EVs, which will help popularize EVs even more. Moreover, disposing of batteries is slightly detrimental to the environment if done improperly. It is not desirable for EV batteries to be disposed of more frequently. Thus, every EV owner must strive to enhance the longevity and capacity of their EV batteries!